Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Monday, May 20, 2019

Monday Devo - WE DON'T HAVE A CLUE

10 Then Moses heard the people weeping throughout their families, everyone at the door of his tent; and the anger of the Lord was greatly aroused; Moses also was displeased. 11 So Moses said to the Lord, “Why have You afflicted Your servant? And why have I not found favor in Your sight, that You have laid the [d]burden of all these people on me? 12 Did I conceive all these people? Did I beget them, that You should say to me, ‘Carry them in your bosom, as a guardian carries a nursing child,’ to the land which You swore[e] to their fathers? 13 Where am I to get meat to give to all these people? For they weep all over me, saying, ‘Give us meat, that we may eat.’ 14 I am not able to bear all these people alone, because the burden is too heavy for me. 15 If You treat me like this, please kill me here and now—if I have found favor in Your sight—and do not let me see my wretchedness!” Numbers 11:10-15, NKJV.

Sometimes I stand at my refrigerator door, scowling. "I don't have a thing to eat," I moan. But what I actually mean is, "There's nothing here that I want to eat." Complaining.

Moses and the Lord often lost patience with the people of Israel because they were unhappy with what they had to eat or drink or whatever. In one way, it's a little amusing. When Moses lost heart over their stubbornesss and complaints, God would comfort and encourage him. When God got angry, Moses had to plead for the Israelites' lives. "What if the Egyptians hear about You killing them? They'll say You just brought them to the wilderness to destroy them."

I have to admit I often find myself in sympathy with the folks  (about a half-million, if I remember right) running out of foods they loved to eat and all there was is manna, manna, and more manna. I feature the potlucks being manna bread, manna casserole, manna and cheese, manna salad, manna and gravy--you get the picture. They knew if they killed their sheep to eat they'd only wind up with more problems. They did eat lamb, mutton, and even beef on occasion, like when there was a sacrifice, but not daily. We don't have the first clue about sacrifice.

I watched a movie--well, actually a documentary--yesterday about the kindertransport at the beginning of World War II. Jewish children were sent on a train from German-occupied countries to England. Thousands of them. Their parents probably knew this could be the only way their children might survive what was coming. The children and parents made a humongous sacrifice. I can't imagine sending my kids away to never see them again. Impossible when they were little--but still way too heartrending even as adults.

Pioneers walked or road in wagons across "roads" that were close to impossible to navigate. The Bataan Death March in the Philippines, the Cherokee Trail of Tears. We find it too difficult to drive to the local food shelter and help with serving.

I tell you, ninety percent of us really don't ave the first clue about hardship.

So, since I'm part of the 90 percent, I think I'll just start thanking God for all the things I do have and can do. And I'll look for places that need what I can help with.

Lord, thank You for all Your provision. You have always made sure I have had "enough." Maybe not luxuries, but many people worldwide would think I live in luxury's lap. I don't really know hardship. But I know it's You who provides all that I really need, and I am so very grateful. Thank You, thank You, thank You. Amen.

No comments: