Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, February 9, 2019

Saturday Sermonette - What's Home?



Entreat me not to leave you, Or to turn back from following after you; For wherever you go, I will go; And wherever you lodge, I will lodge; Your people shall be my people, And your God, my God. Where you die, I will die, And there will I be buried. Ruth 1:16-17a, NKJV.

This is that famous quote from the speech Ruth gave Naomi when Naomi told her two daughters-in-law to return to their families and find a new husband, since Naomi's husband and two sons had both died. However, it's maybe the best quote in the Bible about what makes a home. Pure and simple, it's the love for the people in it.

Ruth left her family home to marry Naomi's son. Apparently, she dwelt with Ruth long enough to begin to love the woman deeply. Moab had been her home all her life, but I think she knew Naomi would need her. She left the city and country to go to a new land, learn a new language, and live among people who had a pretty strong prejudice against Moabites, just because she loved Naomi.

My husband opened up his heart and his home to me, and with that, I found my own home. Not the house; no, wherever he was, was home. I loved being with him. He held my heart safe.

I find that sense of home with my kids too. They're scattered pretty far apart, but I know with them I am loved. My heart is safe there too.

My ultimate home, though, is heaven. I often find myself yearning to be there. No, I'm not considering ending my own life. I'll leave that timing up to God, but there is where my heart will always be held safe.

I hope I have also made my kids feel that their hearts will always be held safe by me too. I want them to always know that I always will love them, no matter what.

Do you have a home like that? What do you do to make your family your home? Is that your goal?

No amount of money will create that home. New furniture won't do it. Expensive clothes and toys and houses can't even come close.

Father, please give us the wisdom to create a home worthy of Your approval. Help us give to our family that sense of a heart-safe environment. Thank You for granting that love to us. For Jesus's sake, amen.

No comments: