Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Monday, November 5, 2018

Monday Devo - THANK GOD FOR ADVERSARIES


My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. James 1:2-4, NKJV. 

About once or twice a month, I speak somewhere. I know that in the group, there probably will be people who will not accept me, or who will not accept what I have to say.

And people might also challenge the historical novels I write as historically inaccurate.

Does that make me feel uneasy, threatened? Well, it used to. Now I rejoice, because it makes me get the research done. Make sure I have the facts straight. Check one reference against another--and if those two  don't agree, yet another and maybe even another.

I try to think of questions that might arise, friendly or adversarial. Try to cover those bases in the talk or the book. And, if the question that arises is one that was unexpected and unresearched--well, it's time to practice a little humility, correct the error or omission, and gracefully admit the mess-up.

And then, grow and go on.

So much of this applies to life. Writers and speakers aren't the only ones who need to admit when we're wrong, to accept correction, and to make things right, to apologize when we offend.

Notice I didn't say "if." At some point we all offend, get it wrong, or just plain mess up big time.

Lord, please forgive us for our mistakes and faults. Help us to grow from them, to strive forward to perfection--even knowing we won't get all the way there until we get to Heaven. Help us stay humble and keep trying, because without Your help, we're lost. Thank You, Lord. Amen.

No comments: