Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Monday, August 6, 2018

Monday Morning Devo - What's a Hero Look Like?


This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. John 15:12-13 NKJV.

Heroes come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. The Bible tells of some: like Joshua, Moses, and the Good Samaritan. And, of course, Jesus.

A lot of years ago, I read of a teenage girl who was babysitting two toddlers who somehow got into a car, locked the doors, and put it in gear. The vehicle began to roll downhill. The teenager placed herself in front of the vehicle to stop it. She did, but at the cost of her own life.

Firefighters and police officers and EMTs are killed every year in the process of trying to save lives, some by accident, some by intention--but they still go into danger, hoping to save other people from harm.

Why? Is any amount of money worth the cost? Obviously, it cannot possibly be for the money. You can't spend money when you're dead. For the glory? Well, possibly, at least for some.

Very recently, some people in wildfires near us were killed. Two were heavy equipment operators. One was a great-grandmother. Some others were firefighters in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I think Jesus gave the perfect description: someone willing to lay down his or her life for someone else. I would like to think I would--but I'm untested. What would I do if faced with that risk? Would I try? Would I run? How deep is my love. I probably would in a heartbeat for my family or friends (I hope I would anyway), but how about for someone I didn't even know, or someone I didn't particularly like?

Lord--I know it would take love from You. So, Jesus, if there's ever a time when Your courage and love should overtake me, let me not be lacking. Out of love for You and Your creation, may I stand with Your own strength. For Jesus's sake, Amen.

No comments: