Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Monday, July 30, 2018

Monday Morning Devo - What help?



Stretch out Your hand from above; Rescue me and deliver me out of great waters... Psalm 144:7

This has been a sad week for people who live around Redding, CA. Other places too, where there are fires and floods, but since I'm somewhat closer to Redding (60 miles), this one has become more personal.

I'm reminded of a joke--so bear with me if you've already heard it.

A man watched as the heavy rains came down. Pretty soon a nearby river began to flood, and a neighbor drove by his house and said, "Hey, George. Come with me--the river's flooding and it might take your house. "Don't worry about me, Henry. The Lord promised to deliver me out of great mondaywaters." The neighbor shrugged. "Suit yourself," he said, and drove on. Pretty soon, water began to creep up to his doorstep, and a guy in a canoe came up. "Hi, George. I came to get you. The flooding's getting bad and predicted to get worse." "No, thank you. The Lord will rescue me." The guy shook his head sadly and paddled away. Finally, a helicopter came, and the National Guardsman shouted down to George, who was now on the rooftop, "Grab the rope and we'll take you out of here." "The Lord has promised to help me in times of trouble--so go on, rescue others whose faith is less." Well, as you might guess, George drowned. When he stands before God, he tearfully asks why the Almighty didn't rescue him as promised. God shakes His head. "I tried.I sent you a neighbor, a canoe, and a helicopter."

In Redding, a few people are a little like George. They are sent warnings to leave, but they don't. They don't want to leave the house and property they love. Maybe they think they can keep the fire at bay with their garden hose. I don't know--but my heart hurts when I hear someone dies because they refuse to leave "things." It's no joke. There are no doubt people who are now grieving because of that poor choice.

Why do we allow things to become all-important? There are a lot of things I call precious--maybe especially pictures and mementos, but compared to my life or the life of a family member or friend, they're only pieces of paper, wood and plaster, or other flotsam and jetsam.

Father, forgive us when we place things ahead of what's most important. Help us make wiser choices. Thank You, Lord. In Jesus's name, Amen.

No comments: