Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Monday, January 30, 2017

Monday Morning Devo - "I"


After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts (or trespasses), as we forgive our debtors (or trespassers). And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen. Matthew 6:9-13, KJV

At our church we recite the Lord's Prayer every Sunday, and of course it's in the King James Version of the Bible. Some churches use the version in Luke 11, which ends with "deliver us from evil." Others don't recite it at all or only on occasion.

If you use it, do you find yourself "just reciting," not actually hearing or taking it to heart. A few years back, I started occasionally saying it using the personal pronoun "I," thusly:

"My Father which art of heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done in my life as it is in heaven. Give me this day my daily bread, and forgive me my trespasses as I forgive those who trespass against me. And lead me not into temptation, but deliver me from evil: For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever, Amen."

Why? Maybe mostly because of the forgiveness phrases--I want to remember, not recite. Remember that I need to forgive. Remember that it's God who provides for my needs. Remember that I need God's strength to resist the evil one. Remember that I serve a king who is powerful and glorious. It becomes a personal prayer, not distant and impersonal.

The collective "us" is also necessary because we are part of a cloud of witnesses to His provision and majesty, but sometimes, just once in a while, make it personal.

Father, You are my personal God as well as the God of all Christians. Thank You for everything You provide. You have my love and gratitude forever. Amen.

No comments: