Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, November 19, 2016

Saturday Sermonette - How to be a Grownup, Lesson 18


When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 1 Corinthians 13:1, NKJV

Listening

Maybe one of the toughest jobs a grownup has to do is listen. I love my family and friends, but sometimes it seems like I don't actually listen. What I'm doing instead is waiting for a chance to interrupt with my own wonderful opinion, advice, or humor. Who wouldn't want to listen to someone as wise and intuitive as me?

Right.

As Bugs Bunny would have said, "What a maroon."

My opinions are not all that valuable. What would be way better is if I listened and then asked the right questions, ones that would give the other person a chance to develop his or her own wisdom. Maybe give a child a reason to think of a better way than arguments, rebellion, or fighting. A way to express their opinion without hurting. Come to think of it, adults could use that lesson too.

Like you and me.

Father, please teach us to think before we speak, to ask for Your wisdom before responding. Especially with children, Lord, so we may teach them also to listen. For Your sake, for Your glory, and in Your name we pray, Amen.

No comments: