Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, January 23, 2016

Saturday Sermonette - Praise Him in the Storm


But as they sailed He fell asleep. And a windstorm came down on the lake, and they were filling with water, and were in jeopardy. 24 And they came to Him and awoke Him, saying, “Master, Master, we are perishing!”
Then He arose and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water. And they ceased, and there was a calm. But He said to them, “Where is your faith?”
And they were afraid, and marveled, saying to one another, “Who can this be? For He commands even the winds and water, and they obey Him!”
Luke 8:23-25 NKJV

It's pretty easy to praise God for the obvious blessings: sunsets and rainbows, for instance. But what about when things aren't so great? What about when floods, blizzards, and deaths (or fear of death) threaten to overwhelm us?

This past month has been one of those times for me. My husband was pretty close to stepping across the river a few times. Pretty big prayers went up from myself and my family. Thanking God didn't happen as often as petitioning God. (And yes, he's doing much better now.)

If he had finished the crossing, would I still be thinking this way--to praise God through the storm? I'll say yes, knowing I'm human enough to still be angry/sorrow-filled/grieving. Not all of grief is pretty, is it? Not all of praying is lovely and sweet. God understands our deepest prayers. Our Father in Heaven grieved over His Son, so He knows those feelings.

All I know for sure is this: God is good. His mercy is forever. He understands me top to toe. And He walks with me wherever I am.

Thanks, God.

No comments: