Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Thursday, September 10, 2015

Guest Post - Catherine Leggitt: More Than Enough



Growing up on a California farm in the 50's meant always having fresh fruits and vegetables available for the picking. Dad even raised chickens and slaughtered steers. "Only a pretty inept farmer would starve to death," Dad used to say.

As a grown-up, I fully appreciate our ready supply of healthy food, but as a child I often envied friends who got to "eat out" regularly or at least on special occasions. Our family only darkened the doors of restaurants while on vacation--which I considered just a step short of heaven--or coming home from visits to Uncle John.

If the heat of a summer day became unbearable, we'd head off for an afternoon swim in the pool at my Dad's family homestead, which my never-married Uncle John still occupied. I learned to swim at that pool. On the way home, we always stopped at Mel's for a thirty-nine cent hamburger with all the fixings. This cholestrol-laden feast included french fries and a milkshake too. I always got vanilla, my sister got strawberry, and Dad got chocolate. My taste buds salivate just remembering. Sumptuous eating!

However, after I polished off every greasy strand of my own french fries, I'd pretend to be an elephant. "Jumbo. Jumbo," I'd say, sliding across my younger sister's designated half of the backseat to pin her against the door. She'd pop one of her fries into my gaping mouth the way a mama bird feeds her young. I might eat half her fries playing this game. One helping of fries wasn't enough. I craved more.

And, sadly, it didn't stop with fries. As I grew older, I "needed" more shoes, more clothes, more toys. As a senior in high school, I needed a car. Craving breeds discontentment. A grumbling spirit develops. Longing for more, newer, faster, better grows. Advertisement plays on this tendency. I watched as much tv as I was allowed, marinating in desire.

In the early years of married life, when I didn't have enough money to support my insatiable appetite, I used credit cards. But acquisition of material things never satisfies. The constant state of craving becomes a mindset. Nothing is ever enough. Grumbling and complaining, comparing to what other's have, covetousness and greed multiply exponentially. We can never become the people God intended us to be while we feed this ravenous beast.

To want more than God has provided suggests that God's provision is insufficient. In other words, we know better than God what we actually "need." The Apostle Paul clearly understood this struggle against the lust of the eyes and heart because he writes in Philippians 4:11-12, "...I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."

God promised to supply the needs of His people and He always keeps His promises. Often, out of His great goodness, He provides an abundance because He loves giving good gifts to His children. When we accept His provision with a grateful heart, especially when we accept that He has given us more than enough, we will know peace. This is the way to live a fulfilled joyful life.

What about you? Has grumbling for more become a natural state of mind and heart? Begin today to see how much you already have. It's more than enough.

Catherine Leggitt is the author of the cozy mystery novels, Payne & Misery, The Dunn Deal, and Parrish the Thought, as well as her most recent release, The Road to Terminus. She is also an inspirational speaker presently residing in northern California. During her first career--after raising children and before caring for her aging parents--Catherine worked as an elementary school teacher, where she developed her flair for playacting and storytelling. Struggling with retirement, Catherine needed a distraction. She found it at her keyboard.

In addition to writing and speaking, Catherine is the mother of three brilliant children who have collectively produced six incredible grandchildren. An avid Bible student, she sings in the church choir. Catherine is passionate about reading.

Her books can be found at Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Check out her website to learn more.

No comments: