Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Monday, June 8, 2015

Monday Morning Devo - Fruits of the Spirit: Gentleness

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. Galatians 5:22, NKJV

All Christians can exhibit the fruits of the spirit, even under extreme circumstances, given God's help. Let's talk about gentleness this time.

My husband is not a perfect man--although I have to say he's perfect for me--but this guy is definitely a gentle man. We've been through some tough times illness-wise--mostly mine. Jack is the best caregiver I've ever been around--gentle, but firm. "You have to get better," he'd tell me. And I did, thanks to him and to God.

It couldn't have been easy for him. He was a picture framer, and he'd stand leaning over the framing table for hours, then he'd come home and lean over me--making sure I ate, took my medicine, and had everything I needed for comfort. And always with gentleness.

We've all needed a gentle hand on occasion. Grief and other sorrows are so helped by gentle hugs. Injuries and operations need therapy--some of it feels pretty good (like the backrubs) and sometimes it doesn't feel gentle, but it's firm and needed. Children have to have firm but gentle hands to guide them and keep them from straying into the path of danger or destruction.

So--gentleness doesn't always feel loving--but it always is. You know what I mean, right?

Lord--teach us how to be gently firm and firmly gentle. Sometimes it takes an extra hug from You first in order for us to hug the ones who need it the most. Please be there for us, Lord, so we can be there for others. Thank You, Lord. Amen.


No comments: