Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, May 9, 2015

Saturday Sermonette - Without a Doubt (Sennacherib)

.... But do not listen to Hezekiah, lest he persuade you, saying, “The Lord will deliver us.” Has any of the gods of the nations at all delivered its land from the hand of the king of Assyria? 2 Kings 18:32b-33

When Hezekiah was king over Israel, King Sennacherib of Assyria sent a huge army commanded by Rabshakeh against Jerusalem, boasting that the God of Israel had no power to save them. Sennacherib and Rabshakeh had no doubt about their ability. Their army couldn't help but win. Well trained and successful, they had overrun a half-dozen kingdoms thus far.

Trouble is, they got Hezekiah's ire up. Until that rash statement, Hezekiah had had been quivering in his sandals. He'd stripped the temple of its gold and sent it as a tribute to Sennacherib, trying to bribe the Assyrian king into leaving them alone. Instead, the king sent his general and army to war against the Israelites and bragged not even God could stop him. Hezekiah got on his knees and asked God if He were going to stand by and let His Name be maligned.

Boy was Sennacherib in for a surprise.

Being dead sure you're right when you're not doesn't change the facts. All the Assyrian king would have to have done is swallow his pride and say he was sorry. Instead, he shook his fist in the face of God. Not the best plan.

Have you ever defied God? Yeah, well, sorta. Can't say I ever shook my fist at Him, but I have gone "my own way" way too many times. Still, He's forgiven me. Sometimes it amazes me just how many times He forgave me for the same stupid mistakes more than once. He will forgive you too. His pardon is free for the asking.

Father, forgive me for going my way one more time, one more time, one more time. I don't deserve it, but still I hope You will. Thank You, Father.

No comments: