Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Thursday, February 27, 2014

Author Interview--Stephanie Landsem



Anne: Our interview this morning is with Stephanie Landsem, author of the book I reviewed yesterday, The Thief. (To see that review, click HERE.) We all want to know what inspired The Thief. 

Stephanie: The idea for The Thief came about all at once, when my sister and I were brainstorming for the second book of the series. I wanted to write about the man born blind, and she wanted me to write about the good thief. So we devised a way to tie the two together with a little sister who had to steal to keep her brother fed. I had the synopsis written and sent off to my agent within 24 hours!

Anne: How neat to have a sister like that! Which is your favorite scene in the book?

Stephanie: That's a tough one. I think I would say the scene where Longinus finds Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane. It is such a big moment for him.

Anne: It was--and I liked that scene too. Who is your favorite character?

Stephanie: I'd have to say Longinus, the Roman centurion. It was great fun to research Roman legions and soldiers.

Anne: I love the researching too! I find in my manuscripts I actually begin thinking of the characters as real people, even though logically I know they're not. Do you?

Stephanie: Oh, yes. After I sent in the last edits for The Thief, I was depressed for days. I didn't know why until I realized that I missed Longinus.

Anne: Do you actually enjoy all the researching that is so necessary to a historical novel?

Stephanie: I love the research, probably too much. I spend a great deal of time researching and have trouble deciding when I need to stop and get writing.

Anne: What was the most surprising thing you found during your research?

Stephanie: The politics and unrest in Jerusalem, not only between the Jews, Greeks, and Romans, but within the different sects of Judaism itself.

Anne: Would you like to tell us a little about your next book?

Stephanie: The Tomb is a surprising story of Martha, Mary, and Lazarus. If you've ever sympathized with Martha, you'll want to read her story.

Anne: I do want to read it. Let us know when it's out!