Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, January 11, 2014

Saturday Sermonette--This Day Has Enough Trouble of Its Own

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:34, NIV

The King James version of that last sentence, at least to my way of thinking, carries more of a wallop: Sufficient to the day is the evil thereof.

I'm a fine one to talk about not worrying--just ask my kids. I'd still be awake when they came home, even if it was the wee hours of the morning. I came by it honestly--my mother. Mom did the same thing. When I grew up, I learned to work around Mom's worrying about us until we'd arrive at their house. If I thought I'd be there in the morning, I'd tell Mom we'd be there in the afternoon.

Prayer comes easy to me when I'm worrying, though. Not that the worrying will change anything--but the prayer certainly doesn't hurt. It reminds me that He is in control and He has a good plan. I don't remind God--He already knows, and I don't believe in nagging the Ruler of the universe. I think in that case the prayer is perhaps more for myself than for the folks I was worrying about.

How do you avoid worrying? This is what I do:

When that first twinge of anxiety tightens my stomach, that's when I begin praying. I tell God I'm anxious (like He didn't already know, right?) and why. In other words I talk to Him about it, like I would talk to a friend. I keep talking to my Friend for as long as it takes. I don't have to kneel in a church to pray--I might be driving, cooking a meal, or writing. I'm not sure that's really multi-tasking. Driving and cooking still leave that little corner of the mind free. In the process of writing, there are those little breaks when I'm stopping to let my brain catch up with my fingers.

I sing--either with the radio or CD or even playing my autoharp. In fact, playing and singing seems to double the effectiveness. Did I mention I sing positive songs, preferably Christian music? None of that cheating, losing, or crying music.

I keep busy. Busy-ness keeps the thoughts under control.

And I pray some more.

Eventually, the cause of the worry is resolved.

I do not drink alcohol. I can guarantee you that won't help. Been there, done that.

What do you do to relieve your worries?


No comments: