Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Monday, November 18, 2013

Monday Morning Devo--Who Is My Neighbor?

Jesus replied, "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell into the hands of robbers, who stripped him, beat him up, and went off, leaving him half dead. Now by chance a priest was going down that road, but when he saw the injured man he passed by on the other side. So too a Levite, when he came up to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan who was traveling came to where the injured man was, and when he saw him, he felt compassion for him. He went up to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring oil and wine on them. Then he put him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him." Luke 10:30-34

There is more to this story, and I encourage you to read the rest beginning at Luke 10:25 and going through :37.

This story pretty much tells it all. Folks you would presume would stop and help an injured man passed him by. Why?

Too busy: Got to get to the meeting on time, and I'm already running late.

Let George do it: There's a priest. Surely he'll stop and help, so I'll keep going.

I don't know what to do: I'm not a doctor. Let someone stop who knows how to take care of him.

Religious reasons: If he's dead and I touch him (or if he dies while I'm trying to help), I'll be unclean.

Someone will think I'm trying to rob him: If they see me kneeling next to him, they'll think I did it.

He's faking it: What if he's just pretending to be hurt so someone will stop and he can rob them?

Callous: I really don't care. He's no kin of mine.

It's his own fault: The guy probably picked a fight (got drunk, or whatever) and deserved what he got.

I can't afford it: He probably will need more help than what I can give, and I can't afford to pay a doctor/hospital/urgent care/etc.

Distracted: What injured man? I didn't see anyone.

Me first: No one has ever stopped to help me.

Before you think I'm pointing fingers (and maybe I am), but if I am I'm also pointing at myself. Folks in our world have become me-centered. It's time we begin acting as Jesus would have. I can't imagine Him passing by someone in need of help, can you?

Lord: Open our eyes to see those You would have us help. Give us a heart to care for others. Thank You, Lord, for stopping to help us. May we be Your eyes and ears and mouth and feet in Your world. For Your sake I pray this, Lord.

No comments: