Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Monday, January 28, 2013

Monday Morning Devo - Poor in Spirit

Matthew 5:1-3: "And seeing the multitudes, He went up into a mountain: and when He was set, His disciples came unto him: And He opened his mouth, and taught them, saying, 'Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.'" (KJV)

Or: "Seeing the crowds, He went up on the mountain, and when He sat down, His disciples came to Him. And He opened His mouth and taught them, saying: Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.'" (NEV)

This particular Beatitude confused me for years. Exactly what did it mean to be poor in spirit?

I began to reason it through. When a person is truly poor, they long for enough money to buy the bare essentials--food, clothing, shelter--but don't have even that much. If a person is truly poor, they long to be not poor. They will do almost anything to get the essentials.

If I could follow that reasoning through, then, one who is truly poor in spirit lacks even the essentials of a spiritual life, would long for that spiritual life so much they would do almost anything to be granted a life filled with the Spirit, perhaps. I'm not a linguist or philosopher, but that's how I now see this particular section of Scripture.

If you have a different take on it, I'd love to hear your view. It's by sharing views that we learn not just more about each other, but also more about God.

Prayer: Father God, I remember Psalms 42:1: "As the deer longs for streams of water, so I long for You, O God." My heart relates to that verse, O Lord. I want to draw closer to You. I want to sit at Your feet and lean my head on Your knee while I listen to Your voice. Pull me always closer, dear Lord. Thank You.

No comments: