Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, September 24, 2016

Saturday Sermonette - How to be a Grownup, Lesson 14


When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 1 Corinthians 13:1, NKJV

Walking away.

So very many things pull us away from God. Confrontation can be a biggie. I had a friend in Phoenix who was accosted and injured by another driver who thought my friend was trying to cut him off. Still another one that I knew--a man's son and his friend got cut off and went after the offender--who pulled a rifle from his trunk and killed the son's friend. Two women in a Black Friday frenzy got into a brawl in the store resulting in one of them going into the hospital. Teenagers in gangs try to rival each other with who can eliminate the most of their enemies.

When you're angry, walking away is difficult. How do you cool off and resist the temptation to engage? Well, maybe you'll get the time to cool off when you're in jail, maybe facing murder charges?

Mark my words--shouting matches are often followed by thrown punches. Thrown punches these days result in someone going after a gun or a knife. Lives can be forever ruined or cut way short by anger. Is it worth it?

Don't justify it by saying you are "standing up for your rights." That's just an excuse. Growing up means taking a deep breath, biting the ugly reply back, making the soft reply that turns away wrath (Proverbs 15:1), and walking away. You can do it with God's help.

Father, we do need Your help when anger strikes. Help us remember to use Your principles to turn aside from the confrontations. In Jesus's Name and for His Glory alone! Amen.