Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, December 29, 2018

Saturday Sermonette - Goodbyes


But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus. For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18, NKJV

Not all goodbyes to loved ones are sad. Sometimes it's a relief to see them out of suffering or dementia, especially if we know they're going to be with the Lord. When that's uncertain, the grieving is deeper--or at least it has been with me. My mom had departed from us a couple of years before her death, and it's like the grieving process takes place during that period.

And with me? Sometimes I can hardly wait to go on to that reward, and sometimes I more enjoy being in the here and now. I know my time on earth is winding down, and the prospect of death isn't frightening at all. I don't like that my family will feel sorrow, but I know that they know where I'm going, and so there will also be that bit of rejoicing.

I don't know why, but a lot of people say that final goodbye at or near Christmas. My dad did, and my husband began his six-week goodbye then. The hospitals are crowded around this holiday season. If you are one of the ones grieving at this time, I pray that God will hold you tight in His comforting arms. I pray that while you grieve you will also remember the good times. And I pray that you will be at peace, knowing they have gone to their reward. My heart weeps with yours.

Amen 

No comments: