Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, November 10, 2018

Saturday Sermonette - Procrastinating vs. Obsessing

I know and am convinced by the Lord Jesus that there is nothing unclean of itself; but to him who considers anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. Romans 14:14, NKJV.

Those who know me, know my house is seldom spotless. I don't wash the windows after every rainstorm. You can find spider webs lurking in corners of my back porch. Dust bunnies conspire against me, hiding under every couch, chair, and bed. Their parents (the dust layers) challenge my height and climbing abilities.

But it's not their fault. I shamelessly avoid housework until it trips me or leaves a disgusting odor. At this very moment there are dishes undone, a bed sloppily made, dead leaves on plants unremoved, and probably at least one picture hanging crooked. I do like a clean house--really, I do! It's just that I want it to clean itself. If I had been the one to win that billion-dollar lottery, my first action would probably have been to hire a daily housekeeper.

As you might have guessed by now, I'm one of the procrastinating type. Some of my best friends are obsessive-compulsive. I don't know how they can stand coming to my house, but they do. And I go to theirs without experiencing extreme guilt or discomfort.

You see, the love is greater than the condition of the house. That's how it should be in our lives too. Republicans can love their democrat friends. Catholics can love the baptists. Obsessives can love procrastinators. Or at the very least, tolerate the other point of view long enough to smile at, hug, and pray for each other. It's possible.

Try it. You'll like it.

Remember the story of the Good Samaritan? (If you don't know the story, read Luke 10:25-37.) There were two polar opposites if there ever were any. A dirty, destitute, and nearly dead Jew being helped by a Samaritan. Both the Jews and the Samaritans considered themselves to be in the right and the other in the wrong. In these days, it might be a Muslim helping a fundamental Christian or vice versa.

We can get along when we try. When I stand in front of God, I'd rather be judged for being too kind than for being too cruel.

Where will you stand?

Lord, may our stand always be with You, for You, in You. May we always be more desirous to be holy than holier-than-thou. May we always chose to love in the face of all opposition. In Jesus's name, Amen.

No comments: