Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, May 27, 2017

Saturday Sermonette - Cursing the Enemies


Do not keep silent, O God of my praise! For the mouth of the wicked and the mouth of the deceitful have opened against me; They have spoken against me with a lying tongue. They have also surrounded me with words of hatred, And fought against me without a cause. In return for my love they are my accusers,
But I give myself to prayer. Thus they have rewarded me evil for good, And hatred for my love.
Set a wicked man over him, And let an accuser[a] stand at his right hand. When he is judged, let him be found guilty, And let his prayer become sin. Let his days be few, And let another take his office. Let his children be fatherless, And his wife a widow. Let his children continually be vagabonds, and beg; Let them seek their bread also from their desolate places. Let the creditor seize all that he has, And let strangers plunder his labor. Let there be none to extend mercy to him, Nor let there be any to favor his fatherless children. Let his posterity be cut off, And in the generation following let their name be blotted out. Psalm 109:1-13, NKJV

There are pieces of Biblical scripture that really make me cringe. This is definitely one of them. Wow, was King David mad when he wrote this or not? I don't think I have ever been that angry. Have you?

One thing I admire about David was his honesty with God. He definitely let it all out. Even when it was ugly and accusatory like this one. The Bible never tries to paint even their heroes as beatific and perfect--well, except for Jesus.

We should be just as honest. Tell Him when you're angry, lonely, hurt, disappointed, weak, messed up. Don't pull your punches. God already knows when you're mad. You might as well talk to Him about it rather than trying to hide it, right?

Even if it's God you're mad at. It's okay. Get them out so He can begin to heal the messed-up parts of you. If you hide your wounds, they'll just keep bleeding, festering, and hurting.

Let "Dr. God" work on you. He's the best, and He never sends you a bill. But a caution--tell only God, not all your friends.

Lord, I give you the places inside me that aren't so pretty. Please cauterize my hurts and stop the bleeding and infections as only You can. In Jesus's precious name, Amen.