Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, August 27, 2016

Saturday Sermonette - How to be a Grownup, Lesson 11


When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 1 Corinthians 13:1, NKJV

Acting and reacting.

Small children act on nearly every impulse. Wet, hungry, uncomfortable? Let someone know, NOW! They also react to every stimuli--cry, smile, laugh, strike out...

Goodness! Sounds like a lot of adults I know!

We fail to put brain in gear before opening the mouth.

We don't stop to wonder what's going on in the other person's life that they might have acted the way they did. Knowing (or considering) the other half of the story can make a big difference in our reactions.

Shouting matches, angry words that never die, or worse can and do erupt. How do you cap a spewing volcano?

Lots and lots easier to think before speaking and setting off the tempers. Think about what might have upset the other guy. Accept blame, even if it's not all your fault. Listen, and calmly repeat back to the guy what you understand he's (or she's) trying to say. Say, "how can I help?" Say, "I'm so sorry for your trouble." Say, "Forgive me. I didn't mean to start (or worsen) a problem." Say, "May I pray for you?"

Never say, "I'm sorry, but..." Never say, "You always do this...."

Actions and reactions are totally up to you, with God helping. Remember, you cannot change anyone but yourself. That's God's job, and you aren't God.

Well, God, You and I both know I'm going to often fail this test before I pass it. Please be patient with me, and please remind me before I say or do a thing to pray/think first. I love You, Lord, and I want to honor You with my mouth, my actions, and my reactions. In Jesus's Name, Amen.


2 comments:

Laurie said...

Well said, although I've found that a lot of self-change is also done by the Lord!

Anne Baxter Campbell said...

Precisely!