Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, June 18, 2016

Saturday Sermonette - How to be a Grownup, Lesson 3


When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 1 Corinthians 13:1, NKJV

Thinking back to when I was a youngster, we thought it was great fun to put on our parents' clothes and pretend to be adults. Now that I'm grown up--well, mostly--it's sometimes just as fun to play childish games. That's okay, but remember, we also have to display a few adult behaviors. Over the next few Saturday Sermonettes, I'll be focusing on what a mature person should be aiming for in terms of becoming a grown-up Christian.

Controlling the temper. I used to tell my kids that if they didn't control their tempers, their tempers would control them. There are repercussions for those explosions.

Like a broken hand when you punch the wall. Like when you have to fill and repaint the holes in the door that you kicked. Like when you sit in jail (or prison) because you hurt someone.

Losing control of your temper is a sin. No, it's not justifiable--sorry. Forgivable, yes, but don't try to justify your actions by placing the blame on someone or something. That's the harsh truth, folks. No excuses. Notice I didn't say being angry is sin--no, even Jesus had anger sometimes--but He never lost control.

Everyone seems to have a flashpoint. I do too. Lies from phoned scams hit my hot button quicker than anything, but eventually God and I will get rid of that one. Bullying too. No, bullying isn't right, but getting angry doesn't help.

You don't have to do it alone. God can help, if you'll let Him. The trick is calling on Him before you let that regrettable word out or throw that fist. You can still ask forgiveness afterward, but wouldn't you rather not have to?

Lord, help me please to grow up. Help me remember there is always another side to the story, a reason the other person is "making me" angry. Help me stop the pattern. Step into my life and help me grow up. Thank You, Lord. In Jesus's Name, Amen.

No comments: