Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, December 12, 2015

Saturday Sermonette - My Rights


For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23 NKJV

When people talk about demanding their rights, I reach a quick boiling point. It's my belief we don't have "rights;" although we do have privileges. And I guess you do have a right to breathe, as long as your lungs are working right and you aren't in a vacuum or under water.

You don't have a right to a car, a house, health care, two and a half children, or the most stylish suits. You may earn them. That's your privilege and responsibility. But no one owes it to you.

The Bible doesn't talk about rights, other than birthrights--unearned privileges, too, by the way. It does talk about grace and blessings--but you don't have a right to them. They're unearned privileges too.

You and I don't have a right to God's grace--His forgiveness and love. He gives it just for the asking. You can't demand it as your right, and you can't buy it. It's free--Jesus paid for it--but you have to ask for it and accept it.fcv

In this season of giving, think about when a gift becomes yours. Someone can hold it out to you. They can put it under the tree and wait for you to pick it up. They can tell you it's yours, but until you accept it into your own hands, it still belongs to the giver. That's how it is with God's gift of grace. Forgiveness is given free, but you have to accept it.

If you haven't don't it before, try this prayer:

Lord, You are Master of the Universe, and everything is yours. I ask You to forgive all that I have done that displeases You, and I ask that You would give me Your grace and love through Jesus Christ. I trust that You would give that forgiveness and grace. Please come into my heart and wash it clean. I thank You for loving me just so much. Amen.

No comments: