Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Monday, November 23, 2015

Monday Morning Devo - Song Stories: Take My Life


Today's song was written by a passionate youngish Christian woman, Frances Ridley Havergal, in 1873. She was a talented poet and singer, a concert soloist, learned Greek and Hebrew, and memorized the Psalms, Isaiah, and most of the new Testament. Wow.

"Take My Life and Let It Be" has a wonder-filled story--wondrous to me and I hope to you. Read this little note by Franses Havergal:

"Perhaps you will be interested to know the origin of the consecration hymn, “Take my life.” I went for a little visit of five days. There were ten persons in the house, some unconverted and long prayed for, some converted but not rejoicing Christians. He gave me the prayer, “Lord, give me all in this house!” And He just did! Before I left the house every one had got a blessing. The last night of my visit I was too happy to sleep, and passed most of the night in praise and renewal of my own consecration, and these little couplets formed themselves and chimed in my heart one after another, till they finished with, 'Ever, ONLY, ALL for Thee!'"

As she wrote the words, Frances found herself recommitting more and more of herself to him. As she wrote "Take my voice and let me sing..." she decided to give up her singing career and sing only for God; and, as she wrote "Take my silver and my gold..." she made the decision to sell her sizable collection of jewelry and spend it on missions. She's one who definitely put her money where her mouth was.

Would you like to hear a neat rendition of this one? Click HERE for a new version by Chris Tomlin.

Lord, I know there are still pieces of my life I hold back from You, but I don't want it that way. Show me, Lord, how to let go and trust You in this area too. I do trust You. I know that You know where my secret stash is, the place where I selfishly hoard things I've not been willing to give You, but here, now, I give You the key. Amen.


No comments: