Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Monday, October 19, 2015

Monday Morning Devo - Song Stories: I Need Thee Every Hour


This is another old song, the lyrics written by Annie Sherwood Hawks in 1872. When she was only fourteen, she'd become a regular poetry contributor for New York newspapers. She composed over 400 poems for hymns, but this song is the only one that has survived to the present.

Dr. Robert Lowry, her pastor at the Hanson Place Baptist Church, wrote the music for I Need Thee Every Hour and added the refrain to it.

We have her personal statement about the inspiration for the song. She said, "One day as a young wife and mother of 37 years of age, I was busy with my regular household tasks during a bright June morning. Suddenly, I became so filled with the sense of nearness to the Master that, wondering how one could live without Him, either in joy or pain, these words were ushered into my mind, the thought at once taking full possession of me -- 'I Need Thee Every Hour. . . .'"

Listen to this beautiful rendition by Fernando Ortega--click HERE.

Dearest Lord, I love this account. You are so very good to be there whenever we need You. Every time. You never take a day off, You're never too busy, You never say "go away." I love you, Jesus. Thank You, and amen.

No comments: