Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Monday, June 1, 2015

Monday Morning Devo - Fruit of the Spirit: Self-Control

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. Galatians 5:22

For the next few weeks, I'm going to talk about these fruits. You're going to learn all you never wanted to know about these fruits. Because  I want to talk about the most important one last, I'll take these in reverse order, beginning with self-control.

Self control--wow, something I wish I'd had a LOT more of when I was young. Oh, I kept my temper fairly well. But if there was something I wanted--especially if it were something I shouldn't have--I went after it with a vengeance. It wasn't that I didn't care who I hurt, it was more that I wanted what I wanted. Know what I mean? Nevertheless, I hurt a lot of people, including myself.

Young and stupid. But it took me way too many years to grow up and learn some self-control--I still have a problem with it sometimes, but at least not to the point where I hurt others. I have to work at remembering to let God have control. Even at my age. You'd think by now I'd recall God is always smarter and things always work out better when He's in control. Always.

So actually--it's not so much self-control as releasing your wants to God-control. It doesn't mean you never get anything you wish for. If that desire is (1) really a need and (2) is what God has planned for you, you can plan on getting it. He doesn't withhold good gifts for His children. You might have to wait for it--but good things are worth waiting for, right?

Father, thank You for loving us enough to withhold things that aren't meant for us. Please grant us some wisdom to know we don't need and shouldn't have everything we want. Help us gain some godly self-control over things. Thank You, Lord.

No comments: