Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, March 15, 2014

Saturday Morning Sermonette--Frank--or Harsh?

"Engage brain before setting mouth in motion."

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

"Lord, make my words sweet, for someday I may have to eat them."

And other similar quotes advising caution before you speak. There are always at least two ways to tell a person something. One way (the attack) will hurt their feelings, make them mad, and drive them away from you. Another way (listening and asking questions) might make them begin to think.

So why do I choose the blunt object instead of a brownie? Is it because I am so obviously smarter and so much more experienced and therefore they should listen to me? Hmm. Quite possibly.

Is it because what they are doing will hurt them far more than what I say? Well, maybe...but still I could have used more tact. A fit of temper on my part sure didn't help.

Maybe it's time to take a second look at my motives before I begin railing at anyone.

And...perhaps I really can't spare that piece of my mind I'm about to give them.

What would Jesus do?

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Love it! That's me, for sure!

Anne Baxter Campbell said...

Thanks, Laurie. In fact, that's a LOT of us!