Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, October 13, 2012

Saturday Sermonette - Convenient Christianity

When are you a Christian?

Sunday mornings are easy--in church, everyone is Christian, right? It's convenient to be Christian then.

When is it not convenient?

Maybe we should define a Christian, first. A Christian is one who has asked the Lord to take up residence in his or her life, to be King of his/her heart. That means he/she does his/her level best to do what the Lord wants him/her to do.

There are definitely times when that's not easy, aren't there? When God asks you to do something that you don't like to do or are fearful of doing--or when he asks you NOT to do something that you want to do.

I don't have as much problem as I used to with not doing, it's more with doing. For instance, when I'm asked to give a sermon. I'm afraid. I fear saying the wrong thing, not saying the right thing, not talking about what He wants me to.

There are and have been Christians in a lot more fearful circumstances than that. One for instance is the people in World War II Germany who chose to help the Jews at great risk to themselves and their families. Another situation might be Christians in countries where Christianity is not welcome. Or folks who hang onto their faith through family illnesses and deaths. I often wonder if my faith would be strong enough in times and circumstances like these.

My belief is that God will give us the strength we need for the situations we are in when we need it. I hope and pray so.

Do you ever wonder the same thing?

No comments: