Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Monday, December 26, 2011

Just Thinking: Sweet Communion

For many Christians, the first Sunday of the month is communion Sunday. For many others, every Sunday. For others, seldom.

Of all the church traditions, I cherish Communion perhaps the highest. Please, do not misinterpret what I'm saying here--I am NOT saying I charish Communion higher than Easter/Resurrection Day. Not the same thing in my book.

In our church, we have the option of kneeling or standing (some folks have bad knees, hips, or whatever that prevent this). I choose kneeling. Before getting to the communion rail, I pray for others receiving the cup and bread, that they would experience God's huge love for them.

Then, as I kneel, He comes to me. The experience is something I hope with all my heart also that others have this same thing happening to them. It's a closeness that needs no words--other than maybe "Thank You, Lord." My heart feels so warmed by the thought that He is near, that He loved me so much that He gave His life so I can live.

My daughter-in-law, Stephanie, spoke for a few moments in church yesterday. She described how much she loved their baby son, Ian, and then went on to say that now she really understood the sacrifice God the Father made.

It was so moving--she had several members in tears.

Is it any wonder that the love of God is so vividly expressed in the communion service?

So now would you share? What does communion mean to you?

No comments: