Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, July 22, 2017

Saturday Sermonette - God Won't Notice?


O God, You know my foolishness; And my sins are not hidden from You. Psalm 69:5, NKJV

Did you ever think that God didn't see stupid thing you did when you were young and foolish? I'm not sure I ever thought He didn't know, but yes, there was a time when I thought He wouldn't much care one way or the other. It was my life, and I wasn't hurting anyone but myself, right? Well, I can just picture Him up there shaking His head and wondering if I'd ever come to my senses.

He does see. He's not up there with a fly swatter to swat us when we do it wrong--again! I know, just like any good parent, He wants us to be happy, but not if that happiness hurts someone else. And really? How can we be really happy if we know that our wrongdoing made someone else angry or bitter or heartbroken? Wouldn't there always be that little nudge to our consciences? Search back in your memory and see. Open your eyes and be illumined.

Oh--and what about that happiness now that will lead to disaster later? If only we'd opened our eyes and used a little wisdom...oh, but wait. I forgot. I'm talking about our young and stupid days. Those days when we wore blinders so we purposely wouldn't see.

Let me give you a for instance.

I was twenty-something. A man at work ten years my senior paid attention to me, and I was flattered and gullible. He had made a few off-handed comments that indicated he considered himself superior and his thoughts perfect, but I was pretty sure my presence would change his hard attitude to sweetness. I'd read all the right novels, and the heroines had changed their guys' lives for the better. That works in real life too, right?

And God would hide His eyes when I gave myself to the guy without marriage because I would change this man's life. Sure.

In the process of trying to change this guy, instead I hurt him. Didn't help myself either.Yes, I've been forgiven, but one thing I've found out is that every action has a reaction, and the hurt sometimes doesn't get undone. God forgave me, but did the guy? Did the other woman who cared for him get over the hurt? I don't know. Won't ever know.

If only....

If only I'd thought about action and reaction. If only I'd thought about God before myself. If only I could go back and do it over.

Lord, please free me from these "if-only's." Please work to heal those I've hurt with the best of intentions not to. Thank You, Lord. In Jesus's name, Amen.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Well written. Good point!

Anne Baxter Campbell said...

Thanks, Laurie. Blessings on your weekend.