Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, March 4, 2017

Saturday Sermonette - Burdens


"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

I don't know what it is about the human psyche, but it seems like all of us carry old baggage of one sort or another. Old sins we're sure we don't deserve forgiveness for, misplaced loyalties, failed relationships, grudges...and the list goes on.

When we become Christians, Jesus takes those burdens off our shoulders, but sometimes we take them back again, don't we? Or we acquire new burdens and begin carrying them around.

Why?

Is it that we're uncomfortable with living free?

Do we think others will think we're more humble or righteous or courageous?

What's up with us, anyway?

I don't know about you, but I'd like to get rid of the heaviness, anger, and self-righteousness!

Lord, I'm tired from carrying the excess baggage. Please take it away, and take away this love of self-flagellation. Clean me out, and let me start over, please, God. Let me focus on you and not on myself. In Jesus's wondrous Name, Amen.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

This is right on for me! Thanks!