Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Monday, August 10, 2015

Monday Morning Devo - What's Prayer?


Hear a just cause, O Lord, Attend to my cry; Give ear to my prayer which is not from deceitful lips. Psalms 17:1, NKJV

How about if you go to your Bible and read all of Psalm 17--the whole fifteen verses? It's a little long to paste here, but it's so good I wish you would read it all.

I've been doing a little thinking about prayer over the last few months, and it's popped up in my daily readings of both the Bible and other things lately.

How do you pray? I'm not sure I can give you a definitive answer on my part. Most of my prayers are done with eyes wide open. Whenever I see something or someone who seems to need prayer, I send up kind of a quick thought to God. Well--I say "up," but really maybe I should just say "send," kind of like an unwritten email in a way.

Long prayers seem to escape me. Short conversations might a little more descriptive. Much of the time it seems I just send a question mark. God knows what I'm asking or saying without words.

Is that just an excuse? I don't know. I'd really like to get a grip on how to pray properly, so if you have a little nugget of wisdom, would you please share it here?

Father, I'm a little like the disciples when they asked you to teach them to pray. You responded with The Lord's Prayer--short but containing all the elements: praise, petition, and thanksgiving. Is that all you ask of us? Teach me, Lord. Help me know how to talk to you. In Jesus wondrous Name, Amen

No comments: