Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Book Review--WHEN THE BIRDIES CAME TO TEA by Kathy Boyd Fellure


My review this morning is a little different. Normally, I don't review children's books, but not because I don't like them. I just don't often receive copies to review. And really, this one wasn't given to me; I bought it. The author and I are sorta-kinda related in a distant way and we bought each others' books at the recent Mount Hermon Christian Writers Conference. And besides, we're particularly fond of each other. Not that the fondness carries any weight for the review--I still do my best to provide an honest report. I have on a few occasions declined to review books by other friends that I am also fond of. You might have noticed, I don't do unfavorable reviews. That's because I don't blog about books I either don't like, don't relate to, or don't agree with. Besides--take a look at my motto in the above banner. A negative review wouldn't be particularly in keeping with that philosophy.


So, on to the review. I'm no expert on children's books, but I love this one. It involves children visiting their grandparents (something I always loved as a child) at Lake Tahoe (a stunning place in God's world). Kathy Boyd Fellure has woven a lot of the love that typically flows between grandparents and grandchildren into When the Birdies Came to Tea. It includes a little mystery, a little whimsy, and a lot of great artistry by Kathleen Flanagan Kresa. Children will relate well to this book, I think, and learn a bit about birds in the process.

When the Birdies Came to Tea is available from Amazon and Barnes and Noble. In addition, Kathy has offered a giveaway to one commenter on this blog. So that I know how to contact you, leave your email in or similar to this fashion: anneb1944 (at) aol (dot) com. You have until July 1, 2014, to leave your comment to enter the contest.

24 comments:

Xochi E. Dixon said...

Anne, what a fun way to learn about birds and celebrate the love between grandparents and grandchildren. I look forward to reading this book and sharing it with my niece and nephew, who are the perfect age for picture books. By the way, I don't think we're ever too old to appreciate picture books. Thanks for sharing this book with us.

Anne Baxter Campbell said...

Xochi--I couldn't agree more!
Hugs!
~Anne

Mary said...

My Grand-daughters and I just adored the "birdies" book as they lovingly call it. We have always had tea parties together as well as feed the birds. So in the book when the girls have their tea and feed the birds, my grand- daughters say "just like us right Grandma?" its a beautiful book and the drawings just bring it to life, springing it from the pages and into my Grand-Daughters imagination and dreams. Thank you Kathy for the adventure!

Betty Ruth Weatherby said...

When the Birdies came to Tea is such a lovely book. I have shared it with my granddaughter and others. We try to feed the birds ourselves but never the teacup method. It was a sweet way to deal with a worldwide love of birdies!

Anonymous said...

When the Birdies Came to Tea is a delightful book! I have given a copy to each of my nieces to share with their elementary school students, and their own children one day. I love the respect and love of nature displayed in this book; it has nice life lessons!

Anonymous said...

My name is Mary Hasapis at sipasah@sbcglobal.net

Anne Baxter Campbell said...

From a post to my Facebook Timeline: Jo Ann Sarti: Anne, I have sung praises for Kathy three times and still can't get it to publish. Don't know what I'm doing wrong, but will keep trying. I'm stubborn like that.

Unknown said...

So glad to hear the your granddaughters call it the "Birdies" book! And especially happy to know they take tea and feed the birds. May their imagination take wing and fly high as they reach for their dreams. Thank you for sharing this little Tahoe adventure with Kathy the illustrator and Kathy the author!

Unknown said...

There certainly is a wide world of birdie lovers out there, Betty! It is fun discovering each other. I hope you keep sharing the story!

Unknown said...

Mary, I am thrilled that you gave your nieces books to share with their elementary school students and their own children! I hope the simple life lessons speak to the hearts of the children. There is a respect and love of nature in the story as well as Kathleen's beautiful art. Thank you from both of us!

Unknown said...

Thank you Jo Sarti for trying three times to comment of the Birdies book!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Xochi! My intent in writing this story was to focus in on the loving relationship between grandparents and grandchildren. I'd love to hear from your niece and nephew after reading the story!

Anonymous said...

Would love to share my cousin's talent with my grandchildren!
Diane Bingham
pureheartone@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

Diane,
I would love to share!
How many grandchildren do you have?

Linda said...

Lsh36@yahoo.com. My grand daughter would love this book.

Linda said...

My grand daughter would love this book. Lsh36@yahoo.com

Aggie said...

When the Birdies Came to Tea is a wonderful story. My two little girls came home after the book reading and told me about the story that my friend Kathy had read to them at the bird store. That was 2 years ago, they still talk about the Birdie book everytime we go near the bird store. aggiekuster@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

Granddaughters love tea parties and tossing birdseed, then watching the birdies when they come to eat. And we grandmothers love sharing time with our granddaughters!

Unknown said...

That was a fun book signing ~ at the Exotic Bird store! I love reading to the children. I hope your daughters remember the story into their adulthood and when they have their own little girls!

Pernfan said...

Here is my post. Jo Ann Sarti

Kathy Boy Fellure is a gifted writer. Her children's books blend imagination and real memories to give us a delightful look at youngsters spending time with Grandparents in a lovely cabin at Lake Tahoe. She shares her time with her family and makes us part of her story as we are drawn into the beautiful illustrations.

Anonymous said...

Kathy Boyd Fellure is a gifted writer. Her children's books blend imagination and real memories to give us a delightful look at youngsters spending time with Grandparents in a lovely cabin at Lake Tahoe. She shares her time with her family and makes us part of her story as we are drawn into the beautiful illustrations. Jo Ann Sarti @Readergal

Kathy Boyd Fellure said...

Thank you, Jo Ann! My real sisters don't want our true stories shared outside our inner sister circle. So I got to use my imagination to the extreme. We were blessed beyond measure to visit our Nana and Papa and If that comes through to the reader, I have accomplished my goal. And you are so right about the illustrator, Kathleen, she is an amazing. talented woman. Her art draws the reader into the story's journey.

Anne Baxter Campbell said...

Xochi Dixon is our winner!

Unknown said...

Congratulations to Xochi Dixon! I will try to deliver to you in person a signed copy of the book with baggies of birdseed for you to feed the birds after you read the story.
Thank you to everyone for your comments!