Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Monday, January 9, 2012

Thomas Nelson Review: Bible Study: The Open Table by Donald Miller


Yesterday I spent much of the afternoon going over this Bible Study--watching the video and reading the leader's guide. Inspirational.

This study might be aimed mostly at folks who are very new or even totally unfamiliar with Christianity, but it brought tears to my eyes, too (I've been a Christian since late 1974). Maybe because I love hearing the stories of people who have come to know Jesus as their own personal friend. Maybe because I know some people who go regularly to church who still would enjoy this study, me included.

You've heard the idea, I'm sure, that going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going into a garage makes you a car. If you're a church goer, I'm sure you've wondered why some folks are there. They don't sing the songs, they nod off during the sermon. I suppose they enjoy the company, like the pastor, or maybe they're coming for the treats during the fellowship hour.

Some of the people who shared stories in this video were church goers, and I'm sure they fit into one of the categories. Some of them were not church goers and couldn't imagine themselves wasting a perfectly good hour on Sunday when they could be sleeping. They are young to middle aged, well off to struggling, male and female.

Learning why and how they decided to take the step is what brought tears to my eyes.

The leader's guide asks some questions that get me thinking. Like the very first one:, "What is the craziest thing you've seen religious people do?" Hm. I could think of a few things...

I'd love to be in this Open Table study with folks new and experienced in the Christian experience.

If you'd like to look for an Open Table study in your area, click here.

No comments: