Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, July 20, 2019

Saturday Sermonette - Biting My Tongue


There is one who speaks like the piercings of a sword, But the tongue of the wise promotes health. Proverbs 12:18, NKJV

Sometimes I tend to speak without thinking. Have you ever had that problem? Head-slapping, whether physically or mentally, occurs way too often.

Normally, it's not all that big a deal, unless I hurt someone in the process. Yesterday, I blurted out a question, caught myself, gave myself a mental head slap, and said, "Unless it bothers you to talk about it." Caught myself a little too late, didn't I? It all came around okay, thanks to God, but I sure wish that head slap had come around a little quicker and stopped me from asking how the gentleman had become disabled.

He was gracious; he probably was used to dealing with curious idiots like me. Still ....

I guess I need to pray that God will alert me that I'm about to commit a social gaff. That worked when I wanted to stop swearing. God's good that way.

So--if there's some wrong habit you have that you'd like to get rid of, maybe you can pray with me?

Lord, I ask that You be in all my speaking today, that words won't slip out with the power to harm or hurt. Thank you. In Jesus's wonderful name, Amen.


3 comments:

Rita Garcia said...

Authors, by nature, seem to be curious. I often cringe after asking a probing question. Like you, I'm working on it. I'm joining you in prayer. Great article and reminder!

Anne Baxter Campbell said...

Hah! Maybe I should be patting myself on the back! I wanted to ask him so many other questions, all of which would be so out of line!

Unknown said...

Beautiful little article. Good reminder. Love the prayer at the end