Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, October 3, 2015

Saturday Sermonette - That Loving Glow


He who does not love does not know God, for God is love. I John 4:8, NKJV

I recently finished reading a friend's story of a time she and her husband prayed together and they experienced that explainable warm glow of love from the Lord. It made me think back to a couple of times when I also felt that special flow of love that cannot be really defined--or explained away, either.

It's very much like the glow of being in love and knowing you're loved back equally or more. Your heart swells up and a rosy glow pervades every cell in your body. You want to hold your breath, because you never want that warm bath of love to leave. The silence around you is filled with the presence of God, and it's unmistakable for any other experience.

I was talking to God about that experience, reminiscing and wishing for it to happen again. He reminded me about the love I felt for my husband before we were married, how warm and special that was. Then He asked me if the love we had now was any less wonderful--and it's not. It's way different, but it's just as special--more so in some ways.

Our love has matured.

Just so, the love I feel for God has also matured. I don't want to go back to those days because I wasn't a very strong Christian then. Oh, I thought I was, but when temptations came, I was overwhelmed by new feelings. Feelings that weren't so godly. Now I don't think I will be lured by any of those fancies. I know where to go for strength.

My love for God has also matured. I sense Him everywhere I go--when I'm on my knees in church or when I'm driving down the road.

He didn't say I'd never have another of those special times with Him again, just that I wasn't to depend on feelings to know how much He loves me.

Father--thank You for that word from You. Your love is constant and forever, whether we "feel" it or not. Amen.


No comments: