Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Guest Post--T.J. Akers on Good and Evil


It’s Midnight and I’m on the Topic of Good and Evil

Because I have to work for a living, much of my writing is done between 9 p.m. and 1 a.m. So this would have been written very late (or early) as usual.

The topic of good and evil has always fascinated me ever since I was four years old and teaching myself to read from comic books. Yes, I learned to read from comic books before I "learned" to read in the first grade. My teacher was fascinated at how "intuitive" I was in my reading, but if I ever told her what I was reading at home, she would have ranted about my choice of reading material. Teachers have come a long way since then, and so has the comic book.

Because of the topic of “good and evil,” the hero’s journey from western culture becomes another favorite subject. Being able to articulate these topics outside of theological discussions was tough for me until I went back to college for my Masters. So along with children’s and young adult literature, I also studied Beowulf, which moves the concept of the hero away from Greek, Roman, and Norse ideals but still borrows elements from them.

So if my hero reads a bit like a comic origin story, my inspiration has been Beowulf, Perseus, The Fantastic Four (as a four-year old I loved Ben Grimm as a character), and Marlowe's Faustus (anti-heroes anybody?).

Website: TJ Akers


Follow me on Pinterest
Follow me on Twitter

No comments: