Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, January 27, 2018

Saturday Sermonette - Nosy Neighbors


You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord. Leviticus 19:18, NKJV

My cat takes delight in spying on the neighbors--not with malicious intent, you understand, but rather from the slight hope one of them might take pity on her starving self and feed her. Or pet her, seeing as she gets no attention at home. (She lies a lot, too.)

However, over the years I've come to the conclusion that nosy neighbors (maybe not including the cats) are perhaps a good thing. Nosy neighbors spot those ugly crazies who steal bikes, cars, or packages from the front porch. Why else would the police routinely question neighbors of crime victims?

So, my resolution for this year is to be nosier. I want to watch out for my neighbors. I really like them--I've been blessed with the best neighbors in the state, I think. They've come to my aid so many times I'll never be able to pay them back. One neighbors routinely puts my trash out and/or brings the cans back to my house if I don't hurry to get that particular task done. Another takes care of my cat (yes, the nosy one above) when I'm away. 

Still others have walked my dog, watered my plants, and shared vegetables with me. The guy who's finishing a house nearby has many times refused payment for little jobs--like replacing light fixtures or bulbs and smoke detector batteries. When I've been sick, rides to the doctor plus food and prayers are offered in abundance.

But they wouldn't have known I needed help if they hadn't been nosy. The appearance of an ambulance or police car brings out everyone, and the offers of help far exceed the need. See what I mean? 

You, too, can become a nosy neighbor. Go ahead--spy out the windows and offer help. Most of the time your help won't really be needed, but the offer warms the heart. And it costs nothing to pray, and your prayers are always needed.

So--Lord, please help us be the kind of neighbor that is needed. In Jesus's name and for His sake, amen.

No comments: