Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, October 1, 2016

Saturday Sermonette - How to be a Grownup, Lesson 15


When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 1 Corinthians 13:1, NKJV

Changing the Things We Can

I hate a messy house, but I hate to clean house nearly as bad. Okay, if you visit my house very often, you'll probably notice that my dislike for cleaning often exceeds the desire for a clean house. I admit it. I'm not sure I can change my desire to have a clean house without cleaning, but I can change how I do things. Immediate cleanup of dishes, dirty clothes, and spills would be a good start. That I can do.

There are other things about myself I need to change too. My desire to make others love me to the point of keeping quiet when I disagree with them? Sometimes that's a good thing, but what if it's something pretty important--like gossip about another person? I don't want to hear it, I disagree with it, but by saying nothing I am giving tacit approval to what is said. I can change that.

Focusing on getting the writing done that I need to do rather than playing Spider Solitaire. Oh, yeah, I'm addicted. But that too, I can change.

All of us have things we need to change about ourselves. When I look in the mirror, I don't want to feel ashamed of that person looking back at me. I can't change the past, but with God's help we can change our own futures.

Please note--you cannot change your husband, best friend, or children. That's God's job--if it's needed. You can pray for them. You can provide the example you hope they'll follow. You can tell them how what they do makes you feel.

Now, get busy on yourself!

Lord, please help us change the things we can. Alone, we are helpless. With your help, we can become better than we were! For Jesus' glory and sake and in His name, Amen.

No comments: