Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, September 10, 2016

Saturday Sermonette - How to be a Grownup, Lesson 13


When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 1 Corinthians 13:1, NKJV

Anger = Hatred?

You know, I was going to end this series with Lesson 12, but I guess as long as God keeps giving me new ideas I'll keep going.

Like this one--when your furious with someone, does that mean you hate them?

When my daughter was a teenager, we often had an adversarial relationship. I'm sure that there were times she thought she hated me, especially when I told her "no."

Anger is temporary (at least in 99.9 percent of the cases), even though you might think at the time you will be mad at the other person forever. Hatred is the wish to kill and send that person to hell. That's permanent.

When you're young sometimes it seems like that anger will be more than temporary. However--as in the case with my teenage daughter--teen/mom angst has become a deep and lasting friendship and relationship, one that we both treasure. What if either of us had acted violently on that anger? Our treasure would have been lost forever.

When Jesus railed against the scribes and Pharisees or when He chased the merchants and animals from the temple, do you think for one minute He wished any of them to hell? No--because He also said the Father is not willing that ANY should die (meaning everlasting separation from God).

Step back. Take a deep breath. Think. Pray. Forgive.

Remember that anger doesn't have to become hatred.

Father, Help us to rise above our childishness to adulthood and reason. We can't do it without Your help. Thank You for always being there to provide the way out. For Jesus's glory and in His Name, Amen.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Great point! I used to fight with my teenage daughter a lot too, years ago. Now we're best friends!