Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, July 23, 2016

Saturday Sermonette - How to be a Grownup, Lesson 8


When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 1 Corinthians 13:1, NKJV

Pretending to be someone or something you're not.

When I was a little girl, I was always pretending to be a famous and popular movie star, an Indian princess, a black panther (the cat kind), a wild horse, or some such thing. My friends and I would dress up in our mother's clothing and put on fancy airs as we sipped pretend tea from little cups. Our our dolls and stuffed toys would watch as we performed plays. Or we'd prance around like playful ponies. It was fun.

Sooo--is that a childish thing we should put away? Um, yeah. And yet--I've been guilty of pretending to be something I'm not even as an adult. Trying to convince others I know more than I do or have more money than I do. Being flirtatious as a single woman while I was married (don't worry, that's way in my young and stupid past....). Convincing others I'm far too busy to help with whatever. Have you done your share of pretending?

Honesty isn't always that easy to come by. You have to swallow a little pride, maybe even get your hands dirty doing something you don't enjoy. When that good-looking dude (or dudette) flashes "that look" at you, you could turn away. Leaving the scene would be even better. Dig deep inside yourself and remember that God will help--if you let Him. And remember that every pretend action can have a devastating, ugly, life-long reaction.

Grow up.

Be someone God can look at in pride and say, "That's my kid!"

Father--help us not to take the pretend way but the honest way. For Jesus precious Name! Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anne, I love this post. All of us have been there. At this point in life, it gets easier and easier to live in the here and now as who I am. No more time for pretense! (It's me, Ann Cavera - anonymous seems to be the only choice that works for this for me - which is sort of ironic, isn't it?)

Anne Baxter Campbell said...

Yes--it's gotten easier for me too--maybe because I've become more concerned about what God thinks of me than what others do. (Nice to "see" you here,Ann!)