Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Monday, July 4, 2016

Monday Morning Devo - What is Freedom, Anyway?


[Jesus said:] "And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed." John 8:35-36 NKJV

Life in general has a lot of paradoxes. Like freedom--it's only your freedom when it doesn't stand in the way of someone else's liberty. Despite our laws, the US can't guarantee the freedom of speech, religion, pursuit of happiness, or from hunger. Most of those also are dependent on us taking a few steps in the right direction.

Free speech? What if you say something that hurts or angers another person enough to say a few words of free speech him- (or her-)self?

Freedom of religion? Wow, do we ever see THAT one violated a lot.

Pursuit of happiness? The best way to be happy is to give someone else some of yours.

Freedom from hunger? You at least have to pick up the phone to order take-out, right? Food doesn't magically appear in front of you with no effort.

Several strong people in the Bible called themselves servants, slaves, or bond servants of God. How can a person be both slave and free?

I'm not going to answer that. I hope you'll do a little of your own investigation. The end result will be worth it.

Lord, let me never abuse my freedoms or rights, to use my rights to hurt or harm others. I count it my privilege to be Your slave, my joy to serve You, and my thanksgiving to belong to You. Amen.

No comments: