The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, A broken and a contrite heart— These, O God, You will not despise. Psalm 51:17 NKJV
This week I read something in Streams in the Desert that caught my attention. It listed some similar instances in the Bible--
- Moses broke a rock at Horeb that produced water to satisfy the Hebrews' thirst;
- Three hundred soldiers under Gideon's leadership broke pitchers to expose hidden lights that produced consternation in their enemy's camp;
- The poor widow broke the seal on the pot of oil that never stopped pouring until she had enough to sell to pay off all her debts and have enough to live on;
- Esther broke the rule not to approach the king without an invitation, and as a result her people were saved;
- Jesus broke five loaves and two fish to feed five thousand;
- Mary broke an alabaster jar to anoint Jesus with expensive perfumed oil;
- And when Jesus allowed His body to be broken on the cross, He made a way for anyone in the world to be saved.
Are you going through a broken time right now? Have courage. God has your back, and He knows how to make those broken parts of you into something beautiful and usable.
Dearest Lord, I know you sorrow with us when we're sad and sympathize with our pains, and I also know You know what's best for the long term for us. I ask that you would take this broken time to make Me whole. Thank You, Jesus. I love You and I trust You. Amen.