Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, August 1, 2015

Saturday Sermonette - Nailing Pride to the Tree


Jesus answered them and said, “My doctrine is not Mine, but His who sent Me. If anyone wills to do His [God's] will, he [that person] shall know concerning the doctrine, whether it is from God or whether I speak on My own authority. He who speaks from himself seeks his own glory; but He who seeks the glory of the One who sent Him is true, and no unrighteousness is in Him.” John 7:16-18, NKJV

Okay--guilty as charged, Lord.

It wasn't that I set out to be thought of as a really expressive (and therefore impressive) pray-er. When people would post or email prayer requests, I'd write a prayer in response. I'd start out with the best of intentions, to bless the person who needed it.

But then this little chunk of pride nosed its way into the conversation. See that, world? Wasn't that an astoundingly eloquent prayer?

What was that Jesus said? I've already received all the reward I'm going to get. I hope that wasn't also true for the people prayed for.

Pride goes before a fall and a haughty spirit before destruction. Says so in Proverbs 16:18, and it's so very true.

It came as a bit of surprise that He now wants me just to say I'm praying, or to just "like" the post. My prayers are still heard by God, who is the One Who is able to work miracles. That might change in the future, but not until that piece of price is nailed to the cross and dead. I've got a ways to go.

God, please forgive me; I give that piece of ugly pride to You and ask You to work miracles not because of my eloquence but because of Your great power and love. For Jesus's sake, Amen.

No comments: