Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Monday, June 22, 2015

Monday Morning Devo - Fruit of the Spirit: Goodness

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. Galatians 5:22, NKJV

Goodness. Who do you know who is good clear through? I think about my grandmothers--both of them.

Grandma Leeper wasn't all that educated--fourth grade, if I remember right--but a good woman. I spent usually a month with them in the summers. The summer I was sixteen, I spent nearly the whole summer with them--Grandma had injured her arm and needed the extra help. I always loved the times spent there. Grandma loved to fuss over people, making sure they got food they loved prepared just the way they liked.

Grandma Baxter was a lot better educated--she finished high school--but they were a lot alike. She had such a talent with little ones. I can remember her reciting silly poetry and singing song to my younger cousins while she rocked them. She took time for the kids especially, but also for neighbors and friends who needed help with anything.

And I can think of others good clear through, can't you? I want to be like them.

But really? There is only one who was good--only one. Jesus. Good means godly. Even Jesus wouldn't claim to be good, saying only God was good. That doesn't mean we can't strive to be godly. It's part of being a Christian, isn't it?

What does it mean to be good? I think it must embody all of the fruit and then some. Add in friendliness, shared laughter and tears, sweetness in the face of bitter words, going above and beyond what is needed to what is enjoyed, forgetting self to bless others, sharing God in words and deeds--someone you feel safe with.

Lord, show us what true goodness is. Teach us how to be good representatives of You. Thank You, Lord. Amen.

No comments: