Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Monday, June 15, 2015

Monday Morning Devo - Fruit of the Spirit: Faithfulness

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. Galatians 5:22, NKJV

There are a lot of types of faithfulness--to God, the spouse, our families, our employers, even to our favorite TV programs. So what's so supernatural about that? Anyone can exhibit some sort of faithfulness. Right?

In the past, my faithfulness evaporated when offered new excitements. I was maybe an adrenalin junkie, or maybe I was only faithful to me and my desires of the instant. At times when I should have asked God to help me with the Spiritual fruit of faithfulness. I instead played with the fire of forgetfulness. Young and stupid is no excuse--I had access to heavenly power and didn't flip the switch.

Faithfulness (the heavenly kind) isn't just when faithfulness is convenient or more fun. God is unfailingly faithful to us (did you ever consider that?), and He deserves so much more than Sunday service.

Going to church is more than what it does for me--it's what I do for the church too. Not that going to church when I don't feel like it is faithfulness--although that should earn a point or two--but sometimes it's more like when I help someone or talk to someone that I don't feel like doing for or chatting with.

Or when I go home and spend time with my family instead of going out after work. Or skip that lunch with the gals for a visit to my mom at the assisted care place. Or spending that extra $10 in my wallet on a cup of fancy coffee in lieu of buying a meal for a hungry child. It's a matter of making time or using resources for others over feeding my ego or selfish desire.

Don't get me wrong--it's not wrong to make time for yourself--it's only wrong when the motive is wrong. It's only unfaithfulness when it's not being totally faithful. You know what I mean?

Lord, sometimes it's hard to know where the line is. Like when I think maybe I'm being loyal to friends, but there's this niggling doubt.... Help me, Lord. Sometimes the temptation seems too enticing to pass up. I need that boost from You to access the heavenly fruit. Thank You in advance, Lord, because I know that You provide everything we need when we need it--including the fruit of the Spirit. Amen.


No comments: