Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, February 7, 2015

Saturday Sermonette - Seeds, Part 6


"But the ones [seeds] on the rock are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away." Luke 8:13, NKJV

Out of all the passages in the Bible, this one has perhaps the greatest ability to make me cringe. And yet--maybe also the greatest hope. You see, that little seed that was me fell on the rocky ground. I fell away. How could I have done that when I loved Jesus so much? But I did. I had devoured the Words in the Bible, but apparently didn't digest them.

There are so many temptations in this world of ours, and all of us have one or two that have a magnetism we seem unable to resist. I wanted to follow the Lord, but... And it's that "but" that did me in.

My little seed of faith faltered for lack of nourishment. Not that the nourishment wasn't available. It was only inches away, but I chose the candy instead of the carrots.

Are you thinking about that candy, how good it will taste? Yes--it'll taste good, but you'll be left craving more. Temptations are nearly all that way. Trust me. I've been there, and I know. Temporary satisfaction is a faint imitation of the real thing.

As a lot of successful dieters are finding out, our bodies know best. The brain (sometimes a most deceptive organ!) tells you, you want more of that sweet stuff. Your body craves healthy food and won't tell the brain it's full until it gets what it needs.

Same way with the Word of God (spiritual healthy food) and with the world's temptations. God provides satisfying food. Not so the world.

It took me far too long to get a hold on this truth. Please don't follow that example!

Lord, please help us find Your sustenance when the world is luring us to more candy. You are the one truly satisfying Source. Help me remember to seek after what You offer and not that which is so deceptive. And thank you for providing that which we all need. Amen

No comments: