Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Monday, February 9, 2015

Monday Morning Devo - The Edge of the Storm, Part 7


“Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock.

“But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall.” Matthew 7:24-27

Rain descending isn't always a bad thing. In fact it's a good thing, especially lately in my neck of the woods (Central California) where we've been in drought conditions, some of the worst ever in recorded history. When it rains, we're happy. Most of the time.

When it's a downpour, it's still a good thing in my book--except when I'm not home. When it's a downpour, I want to be home with my hubby. Not that he can prevent the creek from overflowing or the yard from flooding--he's not God. There's just this sense of security when we're together.

Being prepared for a storm where we live is essential. If our creek floods, we can't get to the highway, and therefore can't run to the store for milk, to the drugstore for a perscription, to WalMart to buy batteries for the flashlights, or order fuel for the propane tank.

If the builders of our home (my hubby's parents) hadn't planned ahead for storms, they might have built the house on a solid foundation--if they'd built it at the edge of a cliff by the ocean, in the middle of a forest filled with deadwood and dry grass, or on sand, the house no matter how solidly built would not have withstood the disasters of nature.

Sometimes we build our lives with great carelessness. At the edges of cliffs, in fire-prone areas, or on sinking sand--without God, the only sure foundation. Over my lifetime, I've built a lot of houses on sinking sand--you've probably built a few yourselves. It's easy to do.

What's amazing to me is that God can come in and change the foundation, if you'll let Him. The only thing is, you'll need to let Him do it, then follow His way from there on. The foundation only remains stable when that happens.

It's your decision. He won't push you into it.

Father, loving Builder of my soul, please find the flaws in my foundation and fill them with the concrete of Your words. Make my walls solid, my roof without leaks, my rooms decorated with Your truth and love. Amen.

No comments: