Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Monday, January 5, 2015

Monday Morning Devo - The Edge of the Storm, Part 2


But the Lord sent out a great wind on the sea, and there was a mighty tempest on the sea, so that the ship was about to be broken up. Then the mariners were afraid; and every man cried out to his god, and threw the cargo that was in the ship into the sea, to lighten the load....
And he (Jonah) said to them, “Pick me up and throw me into the sea; then the sea will become calm for you. For I know that this great tempest is because of me.” (Jonah 1:4, 5, and 12)

This is, to me, one of the most courageous acts in the Bible. Jonah realized God had sent this tempest because of his own insubordination. God sent him to Nineveh, but Jonah went running (okay, sailing) in the opposite direction. Jonah knew he deserved to die. In fact, it seems he'd rather die than go preach to Nineveh like God told him to.

God got his attention. One whale of a storm, and then one whale. I know, the book of Jonah called it a big fish, but Jesus later called it a whale, and He should know. At any rate, God got Jonah's attention.

A long time ago, I lived in Phoenix. I loved it there, heat and all. I loved my church, my Toastmaster activities, and my work, but God said He wanted me to move. And to California, of all places. Did you know if God has plans for you in California, you are out of sync with Him if you stay in Phoenix? I finally went, sulking and moaning--until I found out why He wanted me here. Wow, God. Why didn't you tell me?

Because He wants me to trust Him. To have enough faith in Him to follow Him blindfolded, To love His path so much I would even take it through the storm. I do now, but getting out of that whale and back on the path was a chore, I'll tell you.

Don't be like Jonah and me, kicking and screaming and running away. Be like Jesus, willing to go where He calls you to go, no matter what or where. He will walk with you and hold your hand.

Prayer: Father, You are everywhere, but you want us to be in a certain place doing a certain thing. Help our unbelief, Lord. Guide us where and when You will. Thank You. Amen.

No comments: