Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Monday, December 8, 2014

Monday Morning Devo - Advent Prayers: Zacharias



But the angel said to him, “Do not be afraid, Zacharias, for your prayer is heard; and your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you shall call his name John.” Luke 1:13, NKJV

This isn't so much the prayer as an answer to prayer. Zacharias and his wife were getting on in years, and they had long since given up on having children. Yet here was this angel who just shows up in the the place where, as priest, Zacharias was offering incense and prayer to God for the people. The angel tells them their prayer has been heard, and he tells them, "Don't be afraid." It always makes me chuckle when the Bible talks about an angel showing up. Seems like the first words out of his mouth are these. They must have looked pretty fearsome.

The angel told them not only would they have a son, but their very special son would be the one who would introduce the ministry of God's Son. It had been centuries since one like John was born, a prophet to turn hearts to the Lord. He would make straight the highway to the Lord. What a privilege!

All is being made ready during this season of Advent. Are you ready for the Lord? No? Well, you're not alone. I'm not sure anyone could ever be entirely ready. One chunk of my brain says, "Oh, yeah, come, Lord Jesus!" The other side of it says, "Not yet! I haven't adequately prepared for this! I'm not clean enough; I haven't asked forgiveness for that last goofup. I need to stop doing ______ (fill in the blank)."

Advent is sort of a practice session, preparing us for that day when He comes for us again. So, during this season of preparation, I'm going to ask God what it is he wants me to clean out of my life. I know I'll never be entirely perfect, but one thing at a time I can surely work on.

Father God, thank You for this season of Advent. Show me, God, what to erase from my life. Thank You, Lord, for coming anyway, whether I'm ready or not. I love You, Lord. Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is either my first or third post I am not good with this but would love to win
beb bie sue 45 at hot mail dot com