Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, May 31, 2014

Saturday Sermonette--You Got to Please Yourself


There was a song popular back in the 70s by Ricky Nelson that told us, "You can't please everybody, so you got to please yourself." I used to think that was really true.

While I agree you can't please everybody, trying to please yourself is impossible. Self is never satisfied. It always wants more, more, more. Self is never happy with what it has. Self thinks it will be happy with bigger and better.

Got a nice house? Bet you also want a sweet ride.

Have hair that everyone envies? So next you want the perfect, Barby-type figure.

Wanting never quits. There's no way to keep yourself pleased with yourself. Someone else gets something you like, and now you want it too.

Recently I was face to face with that type of thinking, and it hurt to watch people I love seeking that pleasing. I wanted to shake them, wake them up, tell them there is a better way. One that produces lasting happiness. A way that satisfies. The Way.

There's only one Way that does that. Jesus said He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. I didn't know what that meant until I asked Him into my heart, to take over the throne there.

That's not to say I don't try to improve who I am. With God's help, I try to get closer to the type of person He wants me to be. If that is my goal--to draw closer to the One Who designed me, to become what He planned from the beginning--then His supernatural joy fills my life to overflowing. Every time. All day. Every day.

Thanks Lord. You are The Best. I love You. Please always be the King of my life.

No comments: